MLIS Summer Book Club!
This is an opportunity for current students, incoming students, and faculty to come together and read a book related to the field. We will meet three times this summer starting June 18th.
This summer we will read "The Library Book" by Susan Orlean.
"Susan Orlean re-opens the unsolved mystery of the most catastrophic library fire in American history, and delivers a dazzling homage to a beloved institution – our libraries. On the morning of April 29, 1986, a fire alarm sounded in the Los Angeles Public Library. Raging through the stacks, the fire reached 2000 degrees and burned for more than seven hours. It was the largest library fire in the history of the United States: it destroyed four hundred thousand books and damaged seven hundred thousand more, and shut the library down for seven years. The mystery remains: did someone purposefully set fire to the library—and if so, who?"
There will be three virtual meetings. Please register below for calendar invites. You do not need to attend all three meetings if you are unable to, please participate as much as you'd like!
- Meeting 1: Thursday, June 18, 4:00-5:00PM
- Chapters 1-9, pages 1-108
- Registration: https://umd.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJEkduCvrzIjGtxxkf0rUIna2uWdrKxRXFcR
- Meeting 2: Thursday, July 2, 4:00-5:00PM
- Chapters 10-18, pages 109-204
- Registration: https://umd.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwsdOippj4uHNQNui0Phk_ImbkWPngqxEOg
- Meeting 3: Thursday, July 16, 4:00-5:00
- Chapters 19-32, pages 205-310
- Registration: https://umd.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUkdeyrqjoiG9NlOUw0UDTO88xmT5mr0quV
Repeats every 2 weeks 3 times.
Thursday, June 18, 2020 - 4:00pm
Thursday, July 2, 2020 - 4:00pm
Thursday, July 16, 2020 - 4:00pm