P. Kenyon Crowley
Kenyon Crowley is a leader of the Robert H. Smith School of Business’ health information technology research portfolio where he serves as Managing Director of the Center for Health Information and Decision Systems (CHIDS). At CHIDS, Kenyon manages a broad portfolio of activities aimed at improving the design, integration and effective use of digital systems and analytics in healthcare. He has managed projects with numerous government, healthcare delivery and commercial organizations from Fortune 500 firms to startups. He frequently presents at national and international conferences, and has served as a scientific reviewer for the National Institutes of Health and the National Science Foundation. He has taught courses in health IT strategy, telehealth and mobile health app design, and has published peer-reviewed articles and book chapters on health data analytics, mobile health applications for chronic disease, and health IT implementation. He completed his doctorate at the University of Maryland iSchool with a focus on mobile systems for chronic care management. When he is not pursuing health innovation, he is likely playing soccer, enjoying music, or traveling with his family and friends.
- PhD, University of Maryland iSchool
- MBA and MSIS, Robert H. Smith School of Business, University of Maryland
- BSBA - International Business, Cameron School of Business, University of NC at Wilmington
- Health information technology strategy and design
- Consumer health and wellness behavior
- Health data analytics
- Dugas, M, Crowley, K., Gao, G, Xu, T, Agarwal, R, Kruglanski, A, & Steinle, N. (2018). Individual differences in regulatory mode moderate the effectiveness of a pilot mHealth trial for diabetes management among older veterans. PloS one, 13(3), e0192807.
- Crowley, K, Gold, RS, Cruz-Cano, R, Kleinman, D, Agarwal, R (2018) Electronic Health Record Implementation Findings at a Large, Suburban Health and Human Services Department. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice; ePub ahead of print.
- Crowley, K, Gold, RS, Bandi, S, Agarwal, R (2016) The Public Health Information Technology Maturity Index: An Approach to Evaluating the Adoption and Use of Public Health Information Technology. Frontiers in Public Health Services and Systems Research; 5(2):26–33.
- Bjarnadottir M, Agarwal R, Crowley K, Jin Q, Zia L, Barnes S, and Prasad K. “Improving Decision Making using Health Data Analytics,” in Big Data and Health Analytics,” H. Lehman and K. Marconi (ed.), Taylor and Francis, 2014.
- Designing Consumer Health IT: A Guide for Developers and Systems Designers. (2012) (Prepared by Westat under Contract No. HHSA290200900023I.) AHRQ Publication No. 12-0066- EF. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. September 2012.
Conference Presentations, Invited Workshops, and Talks
- Applying a Stage-Based Model of Information Behavior to Direct-to-Consumer Genetic Testing. 10th Conference on Health IT & Analytics. Washington, DC, November 2019.
- Opportunities and Contradictions in Mobile Care Management. 10th Conference on Health IT & Analytics. Washington, DC, November 2019.
- The Next Frontier of Innovation: Artificial Intelligence. Inovalon Client Congress. Washington, DC, October 2019.
- Emerging Research Topics and Gaps in Health Information Technology and Analytics. Academy Health Annual Research Meeting. Washington, DC, June 2019.
- Quantitative Study for HIV Prevention Reveals a Typology Consisting of Six Distinct Types among South African Adolescent Girls and Young Women. HIV Research 4 Prevention. Madrid, Spain. October 2018.
- Health Trends, Tools and Therapeutics for Chronic Disease Management. Grand Rounds for the University of Maryland Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition. Baltimore, MD. June 2017
- Public Health IT Maturity. State Health IT Connect Forum, Baltimore, MD, March 2017.
- Applying a Stage-Based Model of Information Behavior to Direct-to- Consumer Genetic Testing. International. International Convention of Psychological Science, Vienna, Austria, March 2017.
- Genetics Motivation Viz. Visual Analytics in HealthCare Workshop. AMIA Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, November 2016.
- Precision behavioral intervention technology to improve physical activity, nutrition, glucose management, and treatment adherence: Promising pilot clinical trial results. The International Society of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA) Annual Meeting, Cape Town, South Africa, June 2016.
- Personalized Mobile-Social Medicine for Chronic Disease: Pilot Clinical Trial Results Towards a Theory of Sustained Health Behavior Change. 5th Games for Health Europe, Utrecht, Netherlands, November 2015.
- Improving Primary Care and Public Health Integration: Evaluation using the Public Health Information Technology Maturity Index, International Hospital Federation 36th World Hospital Congress, Chicago, IL, October 2015.
- Helping Grandma Thrive: 4 Challenges for Developing Mobile Apps for Chronic Disease and Wellbeing, CHI Annual Conference, Developing Emotional Skills and Wellbeing Workshop, Seoul, Korea, May 2015.
- Tech in Public Health, University of Maryland Health Services Administration Student Association (HSASA) Event, College Park, MD, March 2015
- Health IT Innovations to Watch, Booz Allen Hamilton Innovation Hub, Rockville, MD, November 2014
- Expert Panel on Venture Success, American Telemedicine Association Venture Summit, Baltimore, MD, March 2014.
- Quantified Self, American Public Health Association Annual Conference Codeathon, New Orleans, LA, March 2014
- Emerging Tools for Patient Engagement and Mobile Health, Military EHR Symposium, Arlington, VA, October 2013.
- Telemedicine Innovations, MEDCITY CONVERGE health innovation conference, Philadelphia, PA, July 2014.
- Health Gamification, American Public Health Association Annual Conference Boston, MA, October 2013.
- HIMSS Annual Conference, The DC RHIO and HIE Sustainability, 2011
- INST362: User-Centered Design (Spring 2020) – Instructor
- Health Data Analytics Bootcamp (Spring 2019) – Co-Instructor
- MBA Consulting Practicum (Spring 2018) – Faculty Advisor
- Global Business Consulting Practicum (Spring 2017, Spring 2018) - Faculty Advisor
- Telemedicine Executive Education (Spring 2015) - Instructor
- BMGT 499D: Health Information Technology (Spring 2014) – Co-Instructor
- BUDT758L: Software Engineering Mobile/Web Apps for eHealth (Spring 2014) - Co-Instructor
Appointments and Service
- National Science Foundation, Smart and Connected Health Program Review Committee, 2017-present
- National Committee on Vital and Health Statistics, Working Group on Data Access and Use, Member, 2012-present
- Workshop on Health IT & Economics, Conference Program Director, Agency for Healthcare Research & Quality, 2010-present
- Mobile-Social Informatics for FDA Regulatory Innovation. Conference Chair, FDA and M-CERSI, 2015
- Advisory Board Member, University of Maryland University College, Health Informatics Program, 2015-present
- American Telemedicine Association Venture Summit Selection Committee, 2014 XPrize Mentor, 2014
Honors and Awards
- iSchool Dean’s Awards for Most Outstanding Doctoral Student Paper, 2016-2017
- Winner, 77th ASIS&T Annual Conference Student Design Challenge, 2014
- Dean’s Fellowship, UMD iSchool, 2014-2015
- Winner, 2013 American Public Health Association Annual Conference Codeathon