Safety, Health, Childcare & Emergency Resources for UMD INFO College Students
Call 911 or an Urgent Care Center
Counseling Center Crisis Support Line: 301-314-7651
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
CrisisTextLine (text 741741)Safety Emergencies
Call 911 or the University of Maryland Police Emergency Line: 301-405-3333 or dial #3333 from a cell phone
We are continually taking steps to ensure that our INFO College community remains safe and free of discrimination, harassment, and sexual misconduct. Reporting, investigating, and subsequently holding community members accountable for any form of harassment is of the highest priority for the INFO College, as for the entire university. We encourage all faculty, staff, and students to use these resources for reporting and coping with harassment and other safety concerns. If you would like to speak to someone at the INFO College about an incident or these resources, please reach out to your student advisor or any of our Deans.
- UMD Health Center CARE Advocate – 301-314-2222
- You can register an official complaint about bias or discrimination with the Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct (OCRSM). You can also report allegations of sexual misconduct online.
- All faculty and staff supervisors are required to report sexual misconduct that they are aware of or become known to them to the Office of Civil Rights & Sexual Misconduct (OCRSM).
- UMD Counseling Center – Free and confidential support to registered UMD students. To make an appointment, call (301) 314-7651 or go to the reception desk in Shoemaker Building. After-hours crisis consultation is available by calling (301) 314-7651.
- Faculty/Staff Assistance Program – Free counseling for UMD staff and faculty.
- UMD Health Center – Provides many services including travel immunizations; women’s health; men’s health; free STI testing; substance abuse intervention program, and more.
- UMD Behavioral Health Center – Provides behavioral health care to UMD students: ADHD, crisis intervention, eating disorders assessment, substance use treatment, mental health emergencies, and more.
- UMD Counseling Center – Provides counseling to UMD students: academic concerns, adjusting to college, anxiety, depression, grief, stress, sexual and relationship violence, time management, and more.
- The Center for Healthy Families – Offers long-term individual, couple, and family therapy for students and non-students at sliding scale fees. Call 301-405-2273 to request services.
- UMD Campus Pantry – Provides emergency food to UMD students, faculty, and staff.
- The College of Information Studies invites faculty, staff, and students to submit a request that a student be considered for “emergency” financial assistance. The Emergency Assistance (“Bridging the Gap”) Fund provides emergency assistance of up to $500 to any INFO College student in need who is put forth by a faculty member, staff member, or fellow student and who is selected to receive these funds. Please note that students cannot apply directly for this emergency assistance funding.
- There is no deadline – requests for bridging the gap funding can be made at any time.
- If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Center for Healthy Families – This clinic, located in the SPH building, provides individual, couple, and family therapy and can assist parents with a wide range of family and parenting issues. For more information, or to schedule an appointment, please call 301-405-2273.
- Children’s Developmental Clinic – The Kinesiology Department in SPH offers a weekly clinic for children with various developmental delays. They provide support for motor, reading, and language development. They also provide parent education seminars during the children’s sessions.
- Center for Young Children – A childcare center on campus for children 3-6 years old.
- LOCATE: Child Care – Connects UMD students, staff, and faculty to child care that meets their unique needs for both typically and atypically developing children. By calling 1-877-261-0060, parents can speak to a live specialist to get referrals for child care and recommendations for care and financial aid.Para obtener referencias de proveedores licenciados por favor llame LOCATE: Child Care al 800.999.0120.
- Student Legal Aid – Provides free assistance to currently enrolled full-time UMD undergraduate students.
- Memorial Chapel – The center of religious life on campus and supports all fourteen University recognized chaplaincies and their programs.
- LGBT Equity Center – Supports UMD students, faculty, staff, and alumni of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
- GoGrad Most Progressive LGBTQ Graduate Degrees – Information on the 20 best LGBTQ degrees, best companies to work for, top LGBTQ-friendly cities in the US, and community resources.
- International Student and Scholar Services – Provides information and resources to assist in the transition to UMD.
- Veteran Student Life – Provides information on scholarships, student groups, veteran student issues and resources, education benefits, and events.