Academic Support and Tutoring:
- The Office of Multi-ethnic Student Education (OMSE) - Offers a variety of services and programs to enhance the learning experiences of undergraduate students.
- Academic Success and Tutorial Services - A resource for all students with a specific focus on serving students in "high-risk" courses.
- Honors Tutoring - Offers tutoring on a wide range of subjects.
- University Writing Center - Provides opportunities for undergraduate students to improve writing and thinking skills in their academic work.
- The Grammer Hotline - Can answer questions on word choice, punctuation, sentence structure, or proper citation.
- Math Success Program - Free walk-in undergraduate math tutoring.
- MathNet Test Bank - Search for a particular exam or set of exams from both past and present semesters.
- Math Tutoring Schedule - Semester tutoring for specific math courses (ex. MATH113, MATH140, MATH220).
- Accessability and Disability Services - Provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals to ensure equal access to services, programs and activities sponsored by UMD.
- Campus Mentoring Big Program - Sponsored by the Black Student Union and advised through the MICA Graduate Coordinator for Black Student Involvement and Advocacy. Offers a personal relationship with an older, experienced students. The program strives to encourage persistance of students beyond the first year of college.
Resources for Students with Children:
- Speach and Language Therapy - The Department of Hearing and Speech Sciences offers evaluations, hearing aids, speech therapy, and a therapeutic preschool service at minimal costs.
- Clinical Psychology Clinic - This Psychology Department clinic provides counseling to children, adolescents, and adults in Prince George's county at a sliding scale fee.
- Center for Healthy Families - This clinic, located in the SPH building, provides individual, couple, and family therapy and can assist parents with a wide range of family and parenting issues. For more information,or to schedule an appointment, please call 301-405-2273.
- Children's Developmental Clinic - The Kinesiology Department in SPH offers a weekly clinic for children with various developmental delays. They provide support for motor, reading, and language development. They also provide parent education seminars during the children's sessions.
- Center for Young Children - A childcare center on campus for children 3-6 years old.
- LOCATE: Child Care - connects UMD students, staff, and faculty to child care that meets theur unique needs for both typically and atypically developing children.
- 1-800-999-0120 - Parents can speak to a live specialist to get referrals for child care and recommendations for care and financial aid. Friendly to both English and Spanish speakers.
Python Coursework Preparation:
Essential Python topics
- Statements, variables, basic data types & operators
- Conditional statements
- Lists, dictionaries, tuples
- Input and output
- Reading and writing files
- Functions, libraries, modules
- Testing & debugging
- Python for Everybody - $10 print, free online
- Python Crash Course - $40 print, $32 ebook
- CS Principles: Big Ideas in Programming - free, with interactive examples
Online Python courses and tutorials
- Codecademy Python - free
- The Python Guru - free
- DataCamp Python Programming courses - Intro course free; others charged by the month
- Coursera - These can be audited for free. If you pay, you can get feedback and "grades":
(Note: This information is accurate to the best of our knowledge, but it is subject to change by the providers.)
- Student Legal Aid - Provides free assistance to currently enrolled full-time UMD undergraduate students.
- Memorial Chapel - The center of religious life on campus and supports all fourteen University recognized chaplaincies and their programs.
- LGBT Equity Center - Supports UMD students, faculty, staff, and alumni of all gender identities and sexual orientations.
- GoGrad Most Progressive LGBTQ Graduate Degrees - Information on the 20 best LGBTQ degrees, best companies to work for, top LGBTQ-friendly cities in the US, and community resources.
- International Student and Scholar Services - Provides information and resources to assist in the transition to UMD.
- Veteran Student Life - Provides information on scholarships, student groups, veteran student issues and resources, education benefits, and events.