Declare InfoSci Major
Declare InfoSci as Your Major at College Park
Information for Prospective Students:
The Information Science (InfoSci) major is not a Limited Enrollment Program, meaning you can declare immediately if you choose by following a two-step process below. This applies to current University of Maryland undergraduate students who would like to change their major to Information Science.
Watch the InfoSci Program Introduction video. As a college we want to be sure you have all of the information needed to make informed decisions about your educational goals and career options prior to declaring your major. Also, please see our FAQ page for more information.
- Follow the Course Prerequisite List. (Note: CMSC122 Does not fulfill INST126 requirement)
Changes to InfoSci Change of Major Process:
Beginning Spring 2019 the InfoSci change of major process is being revamped. Previously, the process was entirely online and available 24/7 outside of "blackout" periods such as Schedule Adjustment and Finals Week. The purpose of changing our process is to ensure students transition through the change of major process more quickly, and students switching closer to the start of a semester have a higher likelihood of registering for INST courses.
The new InfoSci change of major process is as follows:
- Students are required to attend an InfoSci Information Sessions. Sessions will be held three times a week in Hornbake beginning the week of February 18th. Students will need to register at least 24 hours in advance, and sessions will be limited to 10 students. (This number may increase in the future.) Students can register for Information Sessions here.
- Students who attend the InfoSci Information Session will learn about InfoSci policies that will likely impact them in their first few semesters, an overview of the major, and instructions on how to complete the one-year plan. Information Sessions will be lead by an InfoSci Advisor and an undergraduate InfoSci Ambassador, so students will be able to get feedback from both an advising and student perspective.
- Students will be given access to an ELMS section to complete the second step of the InfoSci change of major process: a one-year course plan. Students will complete a program sheet based on their InfoSci uAchieve audit and a one-year projected registration plan. This will be submitted electronically for review by an InfoSci advisor. Upon successful completion, the student will have their major changed to InfoSci.
- Students will complete a traditional academic/4 year/graduation plan during mandatory advising in their first semester in the InfoSci major.
The InfoSci Program Office has recently expanded our advising staff and we have two advisors who will be working with prospective students. Students interested in learning more about the major should be directed to our walk-in hours which are posted on the InfoSci website.