Katy Newton Lawley
Katy Newton Lawley
4111H Hornbake Building, South Wing
Dr. Lawley joined the iSchool in 1999 as a master's student in library science. She liked it here so much that she stayed on to earn a PhD and is now a faculty lecturer. She has also worked for a large university library, a small tech start-up, and for large and small non-profits. Here at work, the only thing that excites her more than helping people solve their information problems is seeing students light up when they achieve those large and small breakthroughs that indicate real learning and personal growth.
Organization of information
Structures for representing information spaces
Cognitive aspects of information seeking
- INFM 600- Information Environments
- INST 733- Database Design
- INFM 700-Information Architecture
Recent Publications & Products
- Oard, D., with Lawley, K.N. (2006). The MALACH Project: Multilingual Access to Large Spoken Archives. Invited presentation at the Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities, October 24, 2006.
- Lawley, K.N., with Oard, D. (2006). Teaching and Learning from Holocaust Survivors' Memories: Teachers' Retrieval from and Use of an Oral History Archive during Instructional Planning. Invited presentation at MATRIX: The Center for Humane Arts, Letters, and Social Sciences Online, October 17, 2006.
- Lawley, K.N. (2006). Supporting Teachers' Information Use for Lesson Planning. Poster presented at i-Conference 2006: Research Frontiers in Information, Ann Arbor, MI, October 15-17, 2006.
- Lawley, K.N., Soergel, D., and Huang, X. (2005). Relevance criteria used by teachers in selecting oral history materials. Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the American Society for Information Science & Technology (ASIST), Charlotte, NC, October 28 - November 2, 2005. [Abstract]
- Lawley, K.N., Soergel, D., White, R.W., and Huang, X. (2005). Teachers' search for multimedia lesson plan materials: Study, results, and design implications for oral history archives. Poster presented at i-Conference 2005: The First Conference of the i-School Community, State College, PA, September 28-30, 2005. [Abstract ]
- Soergel, D. and Newton, K. (2003). From legacy KOS to full-fledged ontologies. Paper presented at the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries NKOS Workshop (Networked Knowledge Organization Systems), Houston, TX, May 31, 2003.