Dr. Brian Butler is a Professor and Senior Associate Dean in the College of Information Studies (iSchool) at the University of Maryland. Dr. Butler joined the College in 2012, after 14 years as a faculty member at the Katz Graduate School of Business at University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Butler has published over 100 refereed articles in journals, conference proceedings, and edited books. Since joining UMD he has served as Director of the Master of Information Management (MIM) program, Director of the Center for the Advanced Study of Communities and Information (CASCI), Interim Dean, and Senior Associate Dean. Dr. Butler's research and community-building work have been funded by federal agencies, foundations and corporations that include National Institutes of Health, National Science Foundation, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Microsoft Research, Yahoo! and Intel. His work has been published in Organization Science, Information Systems Research, ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, The Journal of Medical Internet Research, and The Journal of the Association of Information Science and Technology, Archival Science, Information and Organization, and MIS Quarterly.
Dr. Butler’s research has focused on developing theories and techniques that enable groups, communities, and organizations to harness the full potential of new technologies. His recent work examined the role of local information institutions and infrastructures in community resilience.
Current Research Interests
- Assessing and modeling local information landscapes
- Theory and practice of data governance
- Sensemaking and rhetoric related to Artificial Intelligence
- The nature and consequences of bulls**t in social media systems
- Strategies for career navigation in dynamic sociotechnical environments
- Ph.D., Information Systems, Carnegie Mellon University (1999), Graduate School of Industrial Administration (now Tepper School of Business)
- M.S., Information Systems, (1995), Carnegie Mellon University, Graduate School of Industrial Administration (now Tepper School of Business)
- B.S., Mathematics/Computer Science with University Honors (1993), Carnegie Mellon University, School of Computer Science
- 2016 International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2016) Best Paper Award for Wang, P., Lee, M., Meng, X., & Butler, B. (2016). Toward an Ecology Theory of Creativity in IT Products: A Study of Mobile Device Industry. In International Conference on Information Systems (ICIS 2016). December 11-14, Dublin, Ireland.
- 2014 AIS Best Information Systems Publication Award for Winter, S., Berente, N., Howison, J., & Butler, B. (2014). Beyond the organizational ‘container’: Conceptualizing 21st century sociotechnical work. Information and Organization, 24(4), 250-269.
- Information and Organization Best Paper Award (2014) for Winter, S., Berente, N., Howison, J., & Butler, B. (2014). Beyond the organizational ‘container’: Conceptualizing 21st century sociotechnical work. Information and Organization, 24(4), 250-269.
- University of Maryland, CIC Academic Leadership Fellow (2014-2015)
- University of Maryland, ADVANCE Leadership Fellow (2013-2014)
- Best Paper Nomination at 46th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 46) for: Ahn, J., Weng, C., & Butler, B. S. (2013). The dynamics of open, peer-to-peer learning: What factors influence participation in the P2P University? In Proceedings of the 46th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 46).
- Highly Commended Award Winner at the Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012 for: Bateman, P. J., J. C. Pike, & Butler, B. S. (2011). To disclose or not: Publicness in social networking sites. Information Technology & People, 24(1), 78-100.
- Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business, Sao Paulo Executive MBA, Professor of the Year, 2011.
- Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business Excellence in Research Award, 2009
- Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business Excellence in Teaching Award, 2003-04, 2007-08, 2008-09, 2011.
- MIS Quarterly Best Paper Award in 2002 for: Jasperson, J., Carte, T., Saunders, C., Butler, B. S., Zheng, W., & Croes, H. (2002). Power and information technology in organizations: A metatriangulation review”. MIS Quarterly, 26(4), 397-460.