Benjamin B. Bederson
Benjamin B. Bederson
Dr. Benjamin B. Bederson has a lifetime of experience designing, building and studying interactive and educational systems. An ACM Distinguished Scientist, his research is on digital education, crowdsourcing, and interaction strategies.
At the University of Maryland:
- Teaching and Learning Transformation Center (TLTC) Assoc. Provost of Learning Initiatives & Executive Director
- The TLTC inspires and supports effective, engaging, efficient, and equitable teaching innovations among the University’s instructors and assistants.
- As director of the TLTC, Dr. Bederson is responsible for improving student learning outcomes and increasing outcome equity. He also oversees the policies and process for intellectual property, revenue sharing, and development of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses).
- Computer Science Dept. Professor
- College of Information Studies Affiliate Faculty
- Institute of Advanced Computer Studies (UMIACS) Faculty
- Human-Computer Interaction Lab (HCIL) Director (2000-2006)
- Human computation
- Educational Technologies
- Learning Analytics
- Interaction Strategies
Recent Publications & Products
Yalcin, M. A., Elmqvist, N. &, Bederson, B. B.*. (2016) “AggreSet: Rich and Scalable Set Exploration using Visualizations of Element Aggregations”. in IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, 22(1), 688–697, 2016. [pdf]
Lee, T. Y., Mauriello, M. L. & Ahn, J. (2014). CTArcade: Computational Thinking with Games in School Age Children, in International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction, (available online, awaiting final citation). [pdf]
Quinn, A. J. & Bederson, B. B. (2014). AskSheet: Efficient Human Computation for Decision Making with Spreadsheets, in ACM Conference on Computer Supported Collaborative Work, Proceedings of ACM CSCW (CSCW 2014), ACM Press, 1456-1466. [pdf]
Resnik, P., Buzek, O., Kronrod, Y., Hu, C., Quinn, A. J. & Bederson, B. B. (2013). Using Targeted Paraphrasing and Monolingual Crowdsourcing to Improve Translation, in ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology, (in press).
Bonsignore, E., Quinn, A. J., Druin, A. & Bederson, B. B. (2013). Sharing Stories ‘In The Wild’: A Mobile Storytelling Case Study using StoryKit, in ACM Transactions on Computer Human Interaction, ACM Trans. Comput.-Hum. Interact. 20, 3, Article 18 (July 2013), 38 pages.
- PhD, New York University
- MS, New York University
- BS, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute