About the iSchool Alumni Network
The iSchool Alumni Network promotes and supports the University of Maryland College of Information Studies (UMD iSchool), encourages academic and professional prominence, facilitates career development, inspires a spirit of loyalty, and fosters lasting connections that create a beneficial network of UMD iSchool graduates from all our degree programs. When you join the UMD Alumni Association, you also become a member of the iSchool Alumni Network!
What does it mean to be part of the iSchool Alumni Network?
Our mission is to promote and support the University of Maryland College of Information Studies (UMD iSchool), encourage academic and professional prominence, facilitate career development, inspire a spirit of loyalty, and foster lasting connections that create a beneficial network of UMD iSchool graduates from all our degree programs.
DC Books to Prisons Project
The iSchool Alumni Network is launching a book drive for the DC Books to Prisons Project (http://dcbookstoprisoners.org/). DC Books to Prisons is a Washington-based non-profit that distributes books to over 600 prisons in 34 states.
The Book Drive will begin on March 25 and conclude on May 14. There is a collection box located in the iSchool at 1115 Patuxent Building. We hope to collect at least 100 books for the project.
- All books must be paperback. No hardcovers or spiral bindings.
- Books should be clean and free of water stains or excessive highlighting.
- Books may not contain nudity.
- All genres are welcome, but the project has asked for:
- Collegiate paperback dictionaries
- Trade manuals (Commercial Driver’s License-CDL, automobile repair, etc.)
- Popular fiction in Spanish
DC Books for Prisons also maintains an Amazon wish list where donors can purchase books and have them sent directly to the location where books are processed. They also welcome monetary donations to cover mailing costs as well as Amazon gift cards. Please direct any questions to Liz Tobey of the Alumni Network at email@example.com.
What We Do
The iSchool Alumni Network Members help organize and fund activities that:
- Foster professional development opportunities for alumni
- Connect alumni with current students and faculty
- Organize alumni networking and social events
- Build and maintain support for the iSchool through industry partnerships
- Provide or facilitate mentoring, capstone, field study, and internship opportunities for students
- Provide iSchool students with enhanced academic programming opportunities, scholarships, and student event sponsorships
- Provide alumni networking events, social events, and professional development grants
Reasons To Join
Members of the iSchool Alumni network regularly:
- Network with other alumni and friends of the iSchool
- Connect with events at the school and university
- Discover meaningful was to give back to the iSchool and help the next generation of Terps
- Enjoy the many personal benefits offered through the Alumni Association (e.g., amazing discounts through Terp Deals)
"Being a member of the Alumni Network has given me an opportunity to stay involved in the iSchool and to support new cohorts of students. Although we do many things as an alumni group, each time we give a scholarship to a student or sponsor a student event, I am particularly reminded of the importance of our work as Alumni Network members." ~ Tori Weaver, MIM, class of 2005
"For me, being a member of the Alumni Chapter isn't just about fundraising, it's also about being a part of a community. From social events to educational webinars, I really appreciate the opportunities that being a chapter member provides to be involved with the iSchool and other alumni." ~ Megan Fratta, MLS, class of 2016