Consider a part-time job and/or an internship in the information field. Part-time jobs and internships in public, government, or special libraries not only provide experience, but also become sources of professional recommendations. They may even lead to full-time positions.
Job notices are posted to the Jobs Page of blogMLIS by the MLIS Program staff. Professional organizations may also have job lists on their websites and publications.
UMD Career Services
The UMD Career Center, conveniently located on the 3rd floor of the Hornbake Building, provides a wide variety of services and resources to help you refine and achieve your professional goals.
The Student Resources page has links to materials to help you with:
- Resume writing and improvement
- Preparing for Job Interviews
- Meeting with a career counselor to plan your internship or job search
- Monitoring and searching the Career Center's online job listing
- Finding an internship
- Using social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.) effectively to support your job search
- Locating Graduate Assistantships and Part-Time Jobs on campus
There are also guides and materials for international students to help you navigate the additional complexity of finding internships and full-time jobs that meet your needs.