The College of Information Studies is proud to recognize our outstanding alumni who have made significant contributions to his/her field, attained a major leadership role in the field, or who can be considered a role model for other iSchool graduates. Honorees are awarded at the University of Maryland Alumni Association Awards Gala.
We welcome nominations from our alumni, faculty, staff and friends of the college.
Please send biographical materials to
Director of Development
College of Information Studies
University of Maryland
Room 4105 Hornbake Library Bldg., South Wing
College Park, MD 20742-4345 or
- Award Recipients
- 2015: Paul Wester, MLS, 1992
Director, U.S. Department of Agriculture National Agricultural Library
- 2013: Maureen Sullivan, MLS, 1976
President, American Library Association
- 2009: Nancy Roderer, MLS, 1973
Director, Welch Medical Library and Division of Health Sciences Information, Johns Hopkins University
- 2008: Jane Kinney Meyers, MLS 1978
Board Chairman, Lubuto Library Project.
- 2007: Robyn C. Frank, MLS, 1972
American Society for Information Science.
- 2005: Leslie Burger, MLS, 1974
Executive Director, Princeton Public Library
- 2004: Susan Fifer Canby, MLS, 1974
Manager, National Geographic Learning
- 2003: Betsy Humphreys, MLS, 1972
Deputy Director, U.S. National Library of Medicine
- 2002: None presented
- 2001: Claudia J. Mills, MLS, 1988
Children’s book author; Psychology professor
- 2000: Jane B. Robbins, Ph. D., 1972
Dean, Florida State University School of Information Studies.
- 1999: James C. Welbourne, MLS, 1970
City Librarian, New Haven, CT; Deputy Director, Enoch Pratt Free Library
- 1998: Kay Rader, MLS, 1974
Regional Librarian for Coastal Libraries
- 1997: Amado "Sonny" Narvaez, MLS, 1976
Media specialist at Montgomery Knolls Elementary School
- 1996: Esther Herman, MLS, 1968
Coordinator of publications and alumni relations, College of Library and Information Studies, University of Maryland
- 1995: Cecilia L. Keller, MLS, 1973
System Director, Chester County Library System; President, Maryland Library Association, 1990-1991
- 1994: Sybille A Jagusch, MLS, 1969, Ph. D., 1990
Chief, Children’s Literature Center at the Library of Congress.
- 1993: Leslie A. Kulp, MLS 1974
Chief of Collection Development, National Agriculture Library
- 1992: Carol K. DiPrete, MLS,1981
Dean of Academic Services, Roger Williams University
- 1991: Eleanor "Joey" Rodger, MLS, 1979
Executive Director, Urban Libraries Council.
- 1990: Richard H. Lytle, Ph. D.,1976
Dean, College of Information Science and Technology, Drexel University
- 1989: Carolyn P. Brown, MLS, 1968
Chief of Information Services, National Standards Bureau (NIST)
- 1988: J. Linda Williams, 1977
Coordinator of library media services, Anne Arundel County Public Schools.
- 1987: Alice L. Hagemeyer, MLS, 1976
Founder, Friends of Libraries for Deaf Action
- 1986: Hans H. Wellisch, MLS, 1972, Ph.D., 1975
Professor Emeritus, UMD’s iSchool
- 1985: Katherine "Kitty" Hurrey, MLS, 1967
Director, Southern Maryland Regional Library; President, Maryland Library Association, 1979-1980
- 1984: Anne S. MacLeod, MLS, 1966, Ph D,1973
Professor Emerita, UMD College of Information Studies
- 2015: Paul Wester, MLS, 1992